Sunday, October 15, 2017

Colorful Coleus

             Sunday is almost ending. And I'm stock at home. No mall or grocery for us today. Don't get me wrong, I am born a home buddy, maybe because I'm a hobbyist, I will never run out of things to do, to fill up my day. Be it the artsy things, gardening and reading (I've got three unread novels on the shelf) but of course before doing these things there's the laundry basket to kill my hours.

             So, what is so colorful then? Well, say hello to my Coleus! 


              A typhoon passed by our region and it brought a whole day of rain. The following day I noticed them so lively and lovely. They've grown about an inch or two too. It definitely brings color to my garden. I've got like five varieties as of now. I hope to add more of this vibrant beauties to my not-so-little garden.





                Coleus does not only brighten your landscape but it is also a mosquito repellent plant. It was noted that certain insects including mosquitoes do not like its smell though it was not noticeable to humans. I know for sure that "Mayana" (Coleus in Tagalog) has some medicinal values as well. My mom used to put heated minced leaf on my wound when I was young to make it heal fast, making herself a certified "albularyo". Lol. As far as I could remember it works every time, though I am unsure now if all varieties have the same medicinal benefits. They have seem to pop up in the plant stores now a days. I used to know very well the red variety only, good thing a gardener friend and a neighbor has given me cuttings of other types too. 
   
                 I have planned this to be an OOTD post but then it became a plant post again. But no worries, I assume I will learn how to pose like the millennials do in every new (or old) outfit soon. I'm still learning for now. And besides my husband is still practicing to give me the best shot. haha!


Isaiah 61:11

For as the earth brings forth its sprouts, And as a garden causes the things sown in it to spring up, So the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise To spring up before all the nations.


12 comments:

  1. Your coleus look gorgeous. They even have blooms. Happy Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours! They look lovely! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your gardening posts, Lei. This is such a beautiful plant! It certainly adds colour to the landscape. ^.^ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous, Lei! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, these flowers are beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this plant. Did not know its name. Mum has some of it, now I am planning to get some after reading it is mosquito repellant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! That's what is so rewarding about gardening, being blessed with such colorful plants. It makes one very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ang blog mo ay kasing ganda mo...add kita sa blog list ko...

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are lovely, plus mosquito repellant. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Dusana :-)

    www.letnedni.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful! :) anyway, just saying hello all the way from the Philippines! I hope you can drop by my blog too and follow if you like :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete